Silly stories etc. All copyright Holly J. Lowe

Monday 12 July 2010

Diane

I stumbled across this translation of a Rilke poem and couldn't believe how much it reads like Special Agent Dale Cooper of Twin Peaks doing a dictaphone entry to Diane. I think it's a pretty unaccredited translation and more like some bloke just doing it in his room as opposed to a widely published one but I much prefer it.

Remember that scene where Coop's been shot and he's on the floor talking to the voice-activated dicta about all the things he would like to do with his life and how he feels about being shot? Keep that scene in mind then read this poem!

LAMENT by Rainer Maria Rilke translated from German by Cliff Crego

O How everything is so far away
and so long ago departed.
I believe that the star from which
I receive such glittering light
has been dead for thousands of years.
I believe that something
frightening was said
in the boat which just passed by.In a house, a clock
has marked the hour . . .
In which house? . . .
I would like to leave my heart behind
and step out under the immense sky.
I would like to pray.
That one of all these stars
must certainly still exist.I think I know
which one
has endured,—
which one, at the end of its heavenly ray,
stands like a city of white light . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment